Monday, October 11, 2010

From Runner to Writer

When I started this blog I was focused primarily on running.  Shortly after my brother-in-law completed his first full Iron Man Triathlon, my sister told me about a writing contest coming up in November called NaNoWriMo.  It stands for National Novel Writing Month and the goal is to pump out a 50,000 page book in just 30 days.  The best part is the only thing that matters is output, you're supposed to write as much as you can from November 1st to November 30th without editing.  In other words, quantity not quality here!

Although I am still running and trying to get back into training for my first full marathon (Surf City 2010), I couldn't pass up this challenge.  After all, I am always up for a good challenge.  I don't really consider myself a writer; sure I've written in journals all of my life and did plenty of business writing while I worked in Corporate America, but I never really tried to write creatively.  This was something my extremely talented little sister did, not me!  (Be sure to check out her blog  it's totally worth it!)  As it turns out, I really enjoy writing.  I may not have the greatest stories, but it allows me to escape into a world of my creation, where anything can happen at anytime, and I control it...for the most part! ;)

Now with that being said, Middle Distance Runners has transformed into a blog that encompasses my running challenges, my writing challenges, and any other challenge that come my way.  Now I'm a Middle Distance Runner who would like to share all of my life's little challenges and stories.  Hope you enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. leaving myself one more comment

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Regina, great to come across your blog. I did NaNo last year and looking forward to it this year. There is a great blogger, Dawn Embers, who is running ideas for starting your book. Check her out here: http://dawnembers.blogspot.com/

    I'd love to buddy up with you. If you go to my blog and click on my NaNo badge you can buddy up with me then I can return the favour. My name is parisden.

    I also love to run. My husband has competed in a half marathon but I don't aspire to that. I just go running to try to keep my weight in check as I love my food too much! It'll be great to follow you and learn more about running and writing..:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi L'Aussie! Thanks for following my blog. I would love to buddy up with you, I'm going to need all the help I can get with NaNo. I'm definitely looking forward to it though. Thanks for pointing me to Dawn Embers as well, what a great site!

    ReplyDelete