Tuesday, June 8, 2010

After the Mud Run

Running is second nature to me these days.  I run often, and I almost always have one long run (greater than 10 miles) per week.  The area that I live in is very hilly and consists of both trail and pavement running.  This being said, the Mud Run was not terribly difficult for me.  The 1.8 mile climb uphill was challenging, but not difficult...and mostly challenging due to the sun beating down on us with absolutely no air movement!  After the race I felt good.  My muscles weren't sore and I didn't have that nauseous, I pushed myself too hard, feeling.

So imagine my surprise when Monday morning rolled around and I was so stiff in my ankles and calves that I could hardly stand up out of bed. Turns out that very long hill, the mud pits, slippery hills and army crawls really did wear my body out.  I think the biggest problem is that I hadn't spent quality time, okay...any time, stretching after the race.  We walked around a lot and drank tons of fluid, but stretching somehow escaped us.  This is amplified by the fact that we then got into the car and drove for over an hour and half back home.  So I am paying now for allowing my excitement to deter me from stretching properly after a challenging race. Even with the extreme discomfort I am feeling in my left calf, ankle and foot...the race was worth it!  Check out the video of this year's mud run, and don't forget to stretch after your runs!





1 comment: