Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Finally!

I'm finally back to running!  It's amazing how out of shape you get after just a short time.  Five months ago I was running 16 miles at a time.  This morning I was feeling tired after just a 5k.  Now granted, I am always tired when I run in the morning since I haven't had the entire day to store up energy.  Also, I'm sure I could have continued to run further once my muscles were completely warm (it was frigid this morning,) but all the same I wasn't any where close to where I was five months ago.

So what happened?  Five months ago we went up to Northern California to watch my brother-in-law compete in his first ever full IronMan Triathlon.  It was AMAZING and extremely inspiring, but also extremely tiring.  We followed him around on razor scooters, by car and on foot for his 13 1/2 hour day with back packs full of supplies and nutrients and cameras to document the entire journey.  

Now, I'm not suggesting at all that his triathlon was the reason for my slacking off on the running.  It was just that we were so tired when we got back, and then the kids went back to school the week after we got back  and after that colds ensued.  I did continue to run here and there, but nothing like I was before the triathlon.

After a while coordinating running schedules became challenging, and my drive began to dwindle.  Then when my sister encouraged me to join her writing group and participate in NaNoWriMo I sort of put running on the back burner all together, mainly because writing seemed to suck the energy right out of me.  Not only that, but every time I had a spare minute I was anxious to get back to my novel.  By the way, did I mention that I actually finished NaNo an entire week early with roughly 52,000 words?!  YAY ME!!!!  Anyway, I digress!  After months of not running I  finally stopped making excuses and drug myself out of bed at 5 AM this morning, and I have been feeling amazing all day!  It's amazing what those endorphins can do for you.  I was even in a much better mood today!  

So what does this all mean?  Hopefully, I will continue to run two to four days a week in an effort to condition myself for a full marathon before the weather turns to warm.  Originally I was shooting for Surf City Huntington Beach, but I doubt I will be ready for 26.2 miles by February 7th.  Instead, I will shoot for the Ragnar Relay from April 15-16 (If you haven't heard of this, check it out - it was the funnest race I have ever done!)  And hopefully a full marathon as well, maybe the OC Marathon in May, (although the two may be way too close together!)

When I'm not running I will be working feverishly to edit my NaNo novel so I can take advantage of the free proof copy offered by CreateSpace, YAY!  And who knows, perhaps I will begin another novel as well, although there is the whole energy depletion from writing issue to consider! So now that you all know my plan of action for the next several months, what type of goals are you all trying to set and stick to?  Are any of you writers runners as well, and if so how do you juggle writing and running?  Also, for all those who competed in NaNo, how did you do?  Did you finish your novels?  Are you still working on them?  I would love to hear from you!

1 comment:

  1. I read this piece of writing completely regarding the comparison of latest and previous technologies, it's remarkable article.

    Stop by my web blog :: see post

    ReplyDelete