Thursday, May 6, 2010

In the beginning...

When I first started running it was ONLY to lose the weight from having my 3rd child.  I wasn't a runner, didn't like running, and generally wasn't good at running.  My first time out I went with my husband, (who is 6' 2" compared to my 5' 1" stature)  and I thought I was going to die after only less than a mile.  Even though he was running slower for me, his long strides made it difficult for me to keep up and I tired quickly.

Despite the difficulty of my first run I was determined to lose the baby weight, so I agreed to go the next evening.  My husband says to me "this is what we are going to do...we are going to run a 5k tonight."  Naturally I replied with "are you out of your mind?!  I nearly died on last nights run!"   What he said next was advice that changed my entire outlook on running and has transformed me into the avid runner I am today.  He told me to shorten my stride and when I began to feel fatigued shorten it further, almost to the point that I would practically be bouncing in place.  So I tried it, and it worked!  I ran the entire 5k with minimal effort and felt great!

Don't get me wrong, I was definitely tired after the run but I felt good...and more importantly, I did it!  We would run almost every evening after putting the kids to bed, (this wouldn't have been possible without the support of my wonderful mother, however!)  and over time began to increase my mileage.  Soon after I started running I received an email from a local running group that supports young runners.  They were sponsoring a 5k at the local promenade shops.  My husband, sister, brother-in-law, and myself decided to sign-up.  This marked the beginning of my addiction to running and racing.

That first race was exactly a year ago.  Today I have completed four races; including a half marathon and a 12 person 200 mile relay race.  I started a running club called The Middle Distance Runners, and am currently training for my first marathon.  I won't claim to be an expert on running, but I hope that the knowledge I have picked up over the last year and a half will help those of you who want to start running, regardless of your reasons, to get started.  I appreciate any comments or feedback and encourage any and all discussions.  Running has been such a positive force in my life that I want to be able to share that with everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment